Saturday, May 31, 2014

Artist Interview :: Mike Weymouth

Get to know a Copley artist! Michael Weymouth's works are currently featured in the solo exhibit "Latitude 45" in the Red Room gallery Recently, the Co|So staff interviewed one of our diversely talented artists, known for his lush and loosely painted landscapes, about this work and his artistic career. 

Michael Weymouth, On The Road to Siena, East, 12 3/4 x 24 3/4, oil.

1.       Who is your greatest influence?

It's hard to pinpoint another artist. I actually don't like it when someone looks at one of my paintings and says, for example, "it looks like Richard Diebenkorn," even though I like his paintings. I am more reflective of all the people who nudged me along the way, i.e. my fourth grade art teacher, my next door neighbor, etc. who encouraged me to follow my muse into the arts.
 

2.       Tell us about your work in Latitude 45º.

The 45th parallel runs through the heart of Maine, my home state, and two of my favorite painting locations: Southern France and Tuscany. Ironically it runs through Japan where I would also like to paint.

Michael Weymouth, On The Road to Auxerre, 12 3/4 x 12 3/4, oil.

3.       How would you characterize the arc of your career?

I attended New England School of Art and Design not knowing which path I would take. I had started to paint seriously at the end of my time in school and was on a good trajectory, but I decided to take the path more taken and became an illustrator and graphic designer. I started my own firm, Weymouth Design 10 years out of art school and also started shooting photos as part of the business. Weymouth Design went on to become one of the country's leading annual report design firms and is still in business today. I am now semi-retired and painting a lot. I have published three books: How Photography Can Make You A Better Painter; Maine (Island Time); and The Gentle Whisper Of Living Things.
 

4.       Did you attend an art school?
Yes. New England School of Art and Design.


Michael Weymouth, On The Road to Beaujeu, 12 1/2 x 18 3/4, oil.

5.       When did you realize you wanted to be an artist?

My kindergarten teacher singled me out as an artist. However, it took many years before I realized art school was where I belonged. I also spent many years expressing myself creatively in my business, so in a sense, once I got on the art train, I never got off.

No comments:

Post a Comment